Current Assessments

Real Estate Taxes

The City of Onalaska lies within La Crosse County.  You can search for your property information by going to the La Crosse County Land Records site.  You can search by Parcel Number, Owner's Name or Property Address.

To qualify for the Wisconsin Lottery and Gaming Credit program, you must own a home in Wisconsin and use the home as your primary residence on January 1 of the year in which the property taxes are levied.  Primary residence is defined as the home where an individual lives more than six months of the year.  Only one primary residence may be claimed and renters do not qualify.  If you qualify for this credit and it is not on your real estate tax bill, you may claim the credit following the issuance of the tax bill.  You will need to complete a Lottery and Gaming Credit Application and submit it to the La Crosse County Treasurer if it is prior to the printing of the tax bills.  If it is after the tax bills are printed, please submit the form to the Onalaska City Treasurer to review up until January 31st, thereafter the applications can be returned back to the La Crosse County Treasurer

Personal Property Taxes

Unless you are a state-assessed manufacturer, every person, firm or corporation operating a business or rental within the City of Onalaska must file a Statement of Personal Property (Form PA-003) with the Assessor's Office each year on or before March 1st.

The Assessor's Office sends a Statement of Personal Property form to each business owner that has an established account from the preceding year.  These statements are typically mailed during the first week of January each year.

New business owners or landlords who do not have an existing account should contact the Assessor's Office to establish a new account or simply submit a Statement of Personal Property on their own by the March 1st deadline.

Businesses that do not file a Statement of Personal Property with the City of Onalaska Assessor's Office will be given a Doomage Assessment. 

Special Assessments

Special Assessments are billed to the property owners after all construction invoices are paid.  The Engineering Department calculates the property information and the Finance Department prepares and mails the invoices to the property owners.  Property owners have payment options depending on what type of assessment was billed to the property.

Property owners may pay their assessment in full or they may have their assessment placed on their Real Estate Tax Bill.

Assessments placed on the tax bill for new improvements (ie: curb & gutter, alley paving, water/sewer connections, street construction, etc.) will be amortized over 20 years, or the length of the applicable bond issue, at an approved interest rate.  Assessments for repairs (ie: sidewalk repairs) that total over $100 will be amortized over 10 years, or the length of the applicable bond issue.