Police Department Frequently Asked Questions


 Where do I go to get fingerprinted?

Finger printing is done at the La Crosse County Main Jail. 333 Vine Street, La Crosse.  You do not need to make an appointment.  Days and hours are listed below:
Wednesday 7:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. or Saturday 1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.

 Where can I get my child's safety/booster seat checked?

La Crosse County Health Department: 300 Fourth Street N., La Crosse, WI 54601 / Phone: (608) 785-9872

 When does alternate parking take effect?

Between 1:00 a.m. and 8:00 a.m., vehicles shall be parked only on even-numbered sides of the streets on those nights with an even calendar date and on odd-numbered sides of the streets on those nights with an odd calendar date.  "Nights" as used in this section means the period between 1:00 a.m. and 8:00 a.m. Alternate side parking is in affect from December 1st through March 15th every year.

 What are the laws relating to safety belts?

Occupant's Age

In Front Seat

In Back Seat

Under 4 year's old Must be in child car seat Must be in child car seat
4 to under 8 years old In child car seat or booster In child car seat or booster
8 to 15 years old In safety belt (or driver receives citation) In safety belt if shoulder/lap system
16 years or older In safety belt (each violator receives citation) In safety belt if shoulder/lap system

State Statute #347.48 (4): This child passenger law (0 to 8 years) authorizes primary enforcement (no other violation need exist)

No one may transport a child under the age of four that is not properly restrained in a child safety seat, nor under the age of eight that is not in a car seat

No Child under the age of 16 may be transported in the cargo area of a vehicle or the back of a pickup truck that is not equipped with safety belts or a child car seat 

 Where can motorized scooters/pocket bikes/skateboards be ridden?

With permission, they can be operated on private property, private roads and driveways.

Motorized scooters do not meet federal safety equipment standards and are designed for off-road use.

They are not legal to ride on the streets, sidewalks, parks or City bike paths in Onalaska.

 What is Coulee Region Municipal Court?

It is a joint court system utilizing the resources of one Municipal Court.

Agencies included are:

  • Bangor
  • Campbell
  • Holmen
  • Onalaska
  • Rockland
  • Shelby
  • West Salem

Tickets for these agencies can be paid in the City Clerk's Office: 415 Main St, Onalaska WI 54650 - East end of 1st floor

Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

 What do I need to know about Direct Sellers?

With the recent increase in requests for door-to-door sales permits, the Onalaska Police Department is putting out a reminder to residents of requirements for obtaining permits and how these requirements protect citizens as consumers of these products and/or services.

If a salesperson comes to your door, they are required to have an ID and city-issued permit on them and are required to produce these upon request. If they refuse to do so or if you are suspicious of their credibility, please contact the Onalaska Police Department at (608) 781-9550

 What other regulations are there for Parking?

  • Twenty-Four (24) Hour Limitation.
    No person, firm or corporation shall park or leave standing any automobile, truck, tractor, trailer or vehicle of any description on any public street or public parking lot owned by the City for a period of twenty-four (24) or more consecutive hours in the same location at any time, except that where more restrictive parking limits have been established the more restrictive limits shall apply.
  • Over 12,000 Pounds or 18 Feet Restricted
    No person owning or having control of any truck, trailer, truck power unit, motor home, camper, commercial vehicles for hire, tractor, school bus, motor bus or recreation vehicle in excess of twelve thousand (12,000) pounds gross weight, or over eighteen (18) feet in length, or having an enclosed area of a height of more than eight (8) feet from the roadway, shall drive or park the same on any City street or highway for more than a total of two (2) hours, whether consecutive or not, in any twenty-four (24) hour period.

 Where do I get a bike license?

They are available at the Onalaska Police Department.

The City of Onalaska requires that all bicycles be licensed. This makes it easier for the Police Department to locate owners of recovered/lost/stolen bicycles.

Information needed:


1. Make              Giant

2. Model             Sedona

3. Serial #          XYZ12345

4. Color              Black

5. Wheel size       20"

6. Type               Mountain Bike

 I have a question regarding a traffic or municipal citation?


  • Court dates/Changes
  • Fine amount
  • Points assessed
  • Payment Plans
  • Alcohol/Drug Assessments
  • Community Service relating to charge

These questions should be directed to:

Municipal Court Clerk
415 Main St.
Onalaska, WI 54650
(608) 781-9558
(located next door to Police Department)