Changing a Court Date

Court Dates are Set

Initial Appearance court dates are assigned when the citation is issued. If a different court date is needed, please contact the Clerk of Court's Office at (608) 781-9558 or E-mail at least 24 hours prior to your scheduled appearance. Failure to comply with the 24-hour rule will result in a default judgment being entered. Defendants will have the option to file a Motion to Reopen for a filing fee to be determined by the Judge.  More information listed below.

Trial Dates are Set

Trial dates are assigned when the Clerk of Court issues a Notice of Trial. Rescheduling is only an option if the Judge believes there is just cause. Do not assume a trial can be rescheduled. Reschedule requests must be made in writing and delivered or emailed  to the Clerk of Court one week prior to the court date.  To avoid Ex Parte communication, a copy of the request should be sent to the opposing party as well.  You may contact the Court office to obtain that information.

Motion to Reopen


By Wisconsin State Law, a defendant has six (6) months from the date of entry of judgment to file a request to reopen a citation.

To request a citation be reopened, please contact the Clerk of Court to obtain the proper form.

Pursuant to Wis.Stat.814.07 the court may require the defendant to pay costs ranging from $0.00 to $300.00. If the motion is granted, you will be contacted by the Clerk of Court. If the motion is denied, a letter of explanation and Notice of Right to Appeal will be sent. 

If there is a suspension of driver's license, arrest warrant issued for failing to pay the forfeiture or if the debt has been submitted to State Debt Collection/TRIP those penalties will not be cancelled until the case is ordered reopened by the Municipal Judge.