Operating While Intoxicated / Occupational License / Ignition Interlock Device


CLICK HERE for WI D.O.T. information regarding Impaired Driving (OWI) in Wisconsin


Jury Trial

If you are charged with OWI or with a blood alcohol concentration greater than .08 and enter a Not Guilty plea, you have the right to request a trial in the Municipal Court or a jury trial in the La Crosse County Circuit Court. To secure a jury trial, you must file a written request at the Coulee Region Joint Municipal Court and submit the appropriate forfeiture and jury fee for a six-person jury within ten (10) days of your first appearance. If this is not done, you lose your right to a jury trial, but are still entitled to a court trial before the Municipal Judge. If a proper jury trial demand is made, your case will be transferred to the La Crosse County Circuit Court. The Circuit Court Clerk will then notify you of your jury trial date.


Occupational License: How to Apply

If your license is revoked, you may be eligible for an Occupational License. Contact the Wisconsin Department of Transportation for further information with the online Occupational License Eligibility Check.


The following information was taken from the Wisconsin Dept. of Transportation website: www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/drivers/revoke/occ-apply.htm

*All questions should be directed to the Dept. of Motor Vehicles (608) 264-7447

To apply for an occupational license, you will need to fill out form (MV3027) listing the counties or states in which you will be driving, the time(s) of day you will be driving, etc. You can download form MV3027 - Occupational Operator License Application Instructions . A link at the bottom of the instructions takes you to the form which must be filled out, printed and taken to a DMV service center. Print two copies of form MV3027 (one for your records) and take one to a DMV service center. DMV customer service centers accept cash or checks only.


Two hours are needed to process an application. Plan to arrive at the DMV service center at least two hours before the center is scheduled to close.


You need to do the following:

    • Complete an application for occupational operator license Form MV3027. If you are under 18 years old, a sponsor signature is required.
    • Complete necessary tests, including vision screening.
    • Provide proof of your identity, such as an ID with your picture on it or a document with your signature.
    • Provide documentary proof that you are a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent or conditional resident or temporary visitor.
    • Provide proof of insurance.
    • If DMV does not show your license as revoked or suspended, provide a conviction status report or a photocopy of the front and back of a court-completed citation. You may contact the Driver Information Section to verify if this document is needed.
    • Pay the nonrefundable application fee. Filing an application and paying the fee does not guarantee issuance of an occupational license.
    • If you have two or more OWI convictions and are revoked for OWI, prove you have completed an assessment and are participating in a driver safety plan.
    • If the court has ordered you to install an ignition interlock device (IID) in any vehicle operated (excluding motorcycles and commercial motor vehicles), provide form MV3598 from an approved IID installer.
    • If you have been revoked as an habitual traffic offender (HTO), the circuit court in your county of residence must approve the issuance of your occupational license.

Occupational licenses authorizing operation of commercial motor vehicles cannot be issued, as required by the Motor Carrier Safety Improvement Act of 1999.


After you apply for an occupational license

Staff at the DMV service center will review your driver record and application to determine if you are eligible for an occupational license. Staff at the DMV service center will immediately process most occupational applications.


If necessary, they will fax your application to the DMV Driver Information Section in Madison for a complete review of your driver record and application. There, a final determination is made on whether you are eligible for an occupational license. If you are not eligible, you will be notified the license will not be issued and why.


Depending upon the hours the DMV service center is open, you may receive your occupational license the same day. If it is near the service center’s closing time or if they need to fax your application to the Driver Information Section, you may be asked to return the next day or the next time that DMV service center is open to have your photo occupational license issued. DMV customer service centers accept cash or checks only.


Ignition Interlock Device (IID)